Sunday 2 June 2013

Indirect Questions

What are the indirect questions?



Compare the following direct and indirect questions:
  • Direct: What did she want? -  Indirect: Do you know what she wanted?
  • Directa: Que quería ella?    -   Indirecta: Sabes lo que ella quería?
  • Direct: Where was it? - Indirect: Do you remember where it was?
  • Directa: Dónde estaba?   -   Indirecta: Recuerdas dónde estaba? 
  • Direct: Will they come? - Indirect: I wonder if they will come. 
  • Directa: Vendrán?   -   Indirecta: Me pregunto si vendrán. 

  • Direct: Why did you do it? - Indirect: Could you tell me why you did it.
  • Directa: Por qué lo hiciste?   -   Indirecta: Podrías decirme porqué lo hiciste? 

Las preguntas indirectas son aquellas preguntas que van precedidas de otra pregunta (directa: Do you know? Can you tell me?) o de otro tipo de información (Is there any chance...I was wondering...).
  • Estructura de las preguntas indirectas con "can" u otros modal verbs

    Pregunta directa: Verbo modal + sujeto+ verbo +?  
    • Can         you      tell me
    Pregunta indirecta: interrogativo + sujeto + verbo?
    • where           she      is?  
      
    Estructura de las preguntas indirectas con "do/does/did" u otros modal verbs

    Pregunta directa: Do/does/did + sujeto+ verbo en infinitivo +? 
     Do        you           know
    Pregunta indirecta: interrogativo + sujeto + verbo + ?
     where       I          can        park my car?
    Ejemplo con "If/Whether": Usually the answer is "Yes/No"
    Pregunta directa: Does she work here? ¿Trabaja ella aquí?
    Pregunta indirecta: Do you have any idea if/whether she works here? ¿Tienes idea si ella trabaja aquí?
    Examples of indirect questions:

    • Is there any chance...- Hay alguna posibilidad
    • Do you know…Sabes
    • Can/could you tell me.. Me podrías decir
    • I’d like to know…Me gustaría saber
    • Do you have any idea…Tienes alguna idea.
    • I was wondering...Me preguntaba
    • Would it be possible…Sería posible
    • I wonder whether...Me pregunto si
    • Please, tell me...Por favor, dime
    • I can't remember if...No me acuerdo si
    • Has he told you whether...Te ha dicho si

    For further information please visit:
    http://menuaingles.blogspot.com.es/2013/02/todo-lo-que-tienes-que-saber-sobre-las.html